Swanson's has catered to the area for a century, and is working on it's next. Swanson's foods has been in business for a sure 110 years, since 1905, when Mr. C. O. Swanson served the needs of the people of Grays Harbor in the 20th Century, and then handed the business down to his sons Chuck and Carl when it was time. Chuck and Carl assumed the business in the 1930's. It was Chuck and Carl that built Swanson's Foods into three full service supermarkets, catering to the South side of Aberdeen, the Simpson Avenue downtown of Aberdeen and Hoquiam.
Swanson's has had a presence in at least four cities in it's growth throughout the 1920's, including Hoquiam, Aberdeen, Copalis Beach and Pacific County as well. The Aberdeen store was built in 1953, which was the area's first supermarket, and then added to in 1963, doubling it's size. The South side store was built in 1964. The markets were innovative, including departments that were at the time revolutionary, setting modern industry standards. The South side site added a pharmacy to the location, and a snack bar and restaurant were added to the other two markets.
As Swanson's has entered into the 21 Century, Chuck and Carl have since passed the management of the operations to Mark Swanson, who represents the third generation of the Swanson Foods name. The Swanson's stores continue to be upgraded and modernized, striving to meet the needs of the people of Grays Harbor, today, and in the years to come.
For the 110th anniversary, Swanson's Foods is holding a sale and two chances to win a $110 Swanson's gift certificate as well as two chances to win a bicycle. All you have to do is fill out the entry form that is attached to this issue's Swanson's advertisement. If there's anything that Swanson's has proven, it's that they have staying power, regardless of the condition of the economy or competition that comes in and out of Grays Harbor.