Tue, Mar 28, 2023
Home Town Debate
Willapa Harbor Herald
Lewis County News
Traveler's Companion
(360) 942-3466 • PO Box 706, Raymond, WA 98577

Concealed Pistol License Process

Comment   Email   Print
Related Articles

Concealed Pistol License

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

When do I need to have a Concealed Pistol License?

RCW 9.41.050 requires you to have a Concealed Pistol License when:

  • You are carrying a pistol concealed on your person or,

  • You are carrying or placing a loaded pistol in a vehicle.

Where do I apply for a Concealed Pistol License?

  • If you live in the unincorporated area of Pacific County you must apply in person at the Sheriff's Office in South Bend.

  • If you live in an incorporated city within the county, you must apply in person at either the city police department or Sheriff's Office in South Bend, or in Long Beach if you are applying for a Renewal, Late or Replacement license.

  • Non-Washington residents may apply at any local law enforcement agency in Washington State.

  • If you are applying for a Renewal, Late or Replacement license you may apply at the Sheriff's Office in South Bend or the Sheriff's Office in Long Beach.

Our addresses are: Pacific County Sheriff's Office
300 Memorial Drive

South Bend, WA 98586

(360) 875-9395 extension 2184 (North County)

(360) 642-9395 extension 2184 (South County)

7013 Sandridge Road

Long Beach, WA 98631

(360) 642-9403

What are the application hours?

  • Original applications (includes fingerprinting in Pacific County Jail, located in the same building as the Sheriff's Office in South Bend): Monday & Thursday from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, excluding holidays. No appointment is required for fingerprinting, but it is advised that you call ahead on the day you wish to apply to ensure that the jail will be fingerprinting that day.

Jail contact info (360) 875-9396 (North County)

For fingerprinting: (360) 642-9396 (South County)

  • Renewal, late renewal, and replacement: Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm in South Bend and Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in Long Beach. Fingerprinting is NOT required for these applications.

How much does it cost?

Fees are listed below. The fingerprint fee (for original applications only) is included as a part of this total. Please note that all fees are non-refundable.

  • $50.75 - Original

  • $32.00 - Renewal (up to 90 days PRIOR to expiration)

  • $42.00 - Late (up to 90 days AFTER expiration)

  • $10.00 - Replacement

How do I pay?

Payments can be made using cash in exact change only, or by check/money order made payable to "Pacific County Sheriff's Office". We do not accept debit/credit cards. All payments must be made in person at the Sheriff's Office in South Bend at the time of application (for original applications, payments will be made AFTER you have been fingerprinted).

What documents will I need to bring with me?

For all applications, you will need to bring picture identification (i.e. Washington driver's license or ID card). For a renewal or late renewal, please bring your current Concealed Pistol License in addition to your picture ID.

Are there other requirements?

Yes. The following requirements must be met:

  • Resident of Pacific County or a Non-Washington resident

  • 21 years of age or older at time of application

  • Be a US citizen or a permanent resident alien with a permanent resident card (green card)

  • No pending trial, appeal or sentencing on a prohibitive charge

  • No outstanding warrants for any charge, from any court

  • No court order or injunction against possessing a firearm

  • No mental health prohibitors

  • No felony convictions

  • No convictions for any of the following crimes when committed by one family member against another on or after July 1, 1993;

    • Assault IV

    • Coercion

    • Stalking

    • Reckless Endangerment

    • Criminal Trespass in the first degree

    • Violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from the residence

Is there a background check?

Yes, a criminal background check will be conducted before your license is issued.

How long does it take before I receive my license?

If you are applying for your first Concealed Pistol License, it may take up to 30 days to complete the background check before the license is issued. If you do not have a Washington driver's license or identification card it can take up to 60 days. We will mail the license to you once the necessary background check has been conducted and your application has been approved. Please make sure that your current mailing address is included on your application.

How long is my Concealed Pistol License valid?

Your Concealed Pistol License is valid for five years from the date your license is issued. You will not receive a renewal notice and it is yourresponsibility to ensure your license has not expired.

What if I want to renew my Concealed Pistol License, but it is more than 90 days expired?

If your Concealed Pistol License expired more than 90 days ago and you wish to renew, your application will be processed as an original application, NOT a late renewal. You will need to be fingerprinted, and the fee will be a non-refundable sum of $50.75. Be sure to check "Original application", NOT "Late renewal of license" on the Concealed Pistol License application.

What if I lose my Concealed Pistol License?

If your Concealed Pistol License has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you may obtain a replacement license. Fill out the Concealed Pistol License application and check "Replacement license" on the form. Please be sure to bring picture identification (i.e. Washington driver's license or ID card). The fee for a replacement license is $10.00. The expiration date will remain the same as it was on your original license.

Does Washington have reciprocity for Concealed Pistol Licenses with any other states?

Washington has reciprocity or accepts Concealed Pistol Licenses issued by a number of other states, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law. The Washington State Attorney General's website provides a list of those states that have reciprocity with Washington for Concealed Pistol Licenses.


For more information about firearms law:

If you would like to obtain more information pertaining to state firearms law, call the Department of Licensing in Olympia at (360) 664-6616. You may also write to:

Department of Licensing
Firearms Unit
PO Box 9469
Olympia, WA 98504-9649

For questions regarding federal law pertaining to firearms, or if you would like to obtain a copy of Federal Firearms Regulations, please write or call:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)

915 2nd Ave, Room 790

Seattle, WA 98174

(206) 389-6800

For additional information, check the ATF website at:


Read more from:
WHH - Law Enforcement
Comment   Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: