According to Raymond Fire Chief Todd Strozyk, occupants of the residence were woken to the smell of smoke, and found that the wall and ceiling area around their wood stove was on fire. The three occupants were able to escape the residence and call 911.
Fire Chief Strozyk reported that Raymond fire crews arrived within minutes to find flames on the roof and around the chimney area inside the residence. Fire crews entered the structure and knocked down the flames. Fire crews spent another 90 minutes on scene, extinguishing hot spots on the roof, in the attic and ceiling.
Eleven firefighters responded to the scene and were assisted by the Raymond Police Department.
Chief Strozyk said, “The three occupants are staying with local family.”
Damage to the structure was estimated at $15,000 to $20,000.