The Oregon Iris or Iris tenax is a native species of Iris that calls Southwest Washington and Northwest Oregon, west of the Cascades home. This appears to be a banner year for the blooms as they are showing up in locations and numbers not observed in recent years.
The Oregon Iris was used by Native Americans due to its tough, strong fibrous leaves which were used were used as braids and ties. The plant itself, however was not eaten. Roots and rootstocks, fresh or dry, of all Iris species are poisonous if ingested. In addition, the flowers themselves may cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction.
They are certainly best handled through eyesight and the admiration of their beauty from a distance.