A family dog woke everyone up during the early morning on October 7 before smoke filled their East Hoquiam home.
Captain Tim Smith of the Hoquiam Fire Department stated that the home in the 300 block of Broadway Avenue has an alarm system, but the family dog woke them before the alarm went off. In fact the alarm went off after firefighters were on the scene at 3 a.m.
The family self-evacuated when their dog alerted them to the fire.
No injuries were reported. Smith said that the fire started in the ceiling area where structural wood that was against the hot chimney masonry ignited sometime overnight. The fire was contained to the room of origin by Hoquiam and Aberdeen firefighters.