Mon, Aug 3, 2020
Home Town Debate
Willapa Harbor Herald • Town Crier
Traveler's Companion
(360) 942-3466 • PO Box 706, Raymond, WA 98577

A Glance at the Past

Comment   Email   Print
Related Articles

following the default of J.J. Haggerty in appearing for trial, when it became known that the prosecuting attorney's office had filed new information against J.J. Haggerty and P.T. Johnson, former cashier of the bank, in the superior court on December 24. Warrants were at once issued for both men and telegraphed to the authorities in New Mexico, where it was understood that both Johnson and Haggerty were staying at the home of P.T. Johnson's brother, H.B. Johnson. However, the New Mexico officers reported that the parties wanted could not be found and they were unable to serve the warrants.

Parent teachers hold meeting

The regular monthly meeting of the Parent-teachers' association was held in the high school building Wednesday evening and was quite largely attended. A number of girls from the Ellis street school gave a series of folk games for which they had been trained for by the principal, Miss Edith Soper. The ease and grace with which they went through the evolutions of the games was very charming and they were heartily applauded when they retired at the end of the second game, and were obliged to return to give as an encore, the pretty "Mountain march".

50 years ago from the Raymond Herald

January 2, 1964

Home severely hit by blaze

The home of Mr. and Mrs. Brant Elliot, 1530 Harvard street, was severely damaged by fire Sunday night about 9:30pm.

The Elliots were visiting some nearby neighbors and heard a small explosion, then discovering that their house was on fire.

Fire Chief Charles Oldani said the fire started from an overheated wood stove, spreading from the chimney into the attic. Apparently some object in the attic, bursting with the heat, caused the explosion heard by the Elliott's, the chief said.

City tables plea of elderly pair

Two elderly women Monday night asked the South Bend city council for help in getting mail delivered to their homes via a Raymond carrier.

The council took no action toward assisting the woman other than to name Dick Taylor a committee of one to contact the South Bend post office and learn more about the situation.

A letter, signed by Celia Getchell and Margaret Badger, was read to the council by City Treasurer Roy Woodard. In the letter the pair asked council-manic approval of a petition they had signed and sent to the regional post office in Seattle requesting that their mail be delivered in accordance and compliance with requirements and regulations as outlined by postal authorities.

25 years ago from the Willapa Harbor Herald

January 10, 1990

Riverfront South Bend apartment damaged by fire

A South Bend apartment complex owned by Dr. David Lush was heavily damaged January 3 by a fire of apparently electrical origin.

No one was injured in the blaze which broke out in the first floor west end apartment of the four unit building at 315 W. Robert Bush drive. The fire was reported at 6:18pm by a caller at Bens Exxon service station, South Bend Fire Chief Herb Newton said, adding that flames coming from the building were clearly visible from the street.

Storm drives tide to 13.7 feet

Willapa escaped nearly unscathed Tuesday after high winds and torrential rains drove tides up to at least 13.7 feet at the Raymond gauge, 19 inches higher than normal.

The PUD reported service interruptions in the Valley area and Pacific Transit was forced to cancel routes to Astoria and Willapa Harbor Hospital, as well as on flooded side streets in South Bend.

Read more from:
WHH - Glance at the Past
Tags: 
None
Share: 
Comment   Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: